Keep everything ready before you start assembling the pani puri. The potato filling, pooris and the pani. In the pics below, I have made sweet tamarind dates chutney, just to show the assembling. First crack the top pooris with the spoon or your fingers. Then stuff the potato filling in the pooris. Add a few teaspoons of sweet chutney or as per your choice. Addition of sweet chutney is optional for the pani recipe shared in this post.
16. Then add a few teaspoons of the green pani or as per your choice.
17. The pani puri is ready to serve. they have to be had immediately. Or else the puris become soggy. To make a Mumbai style pani puri recipe, use ragda or moong sprouts as the filling. You can check this recipe of Mumbai style pani puri with ragda where I have used moong sprouts as the filling.
Making Pani Puri Stuffing
- Boil the potatoes till they are cooked completely.
- Peel them and then chop them.
- Finely chop the onion if using it.
- In a small bowl, mix the potatoes, onions, coriander leaves, cumin powder, chaat masala powder and black salt or regular salt. Mix well and keep aside.
Making Pani For Pani Puri
- In a blender add all the ingredients mentioned above for the pani.
- Add water and grind to a fine chutney.
- Remove the green chutney in a large bowl. Rinse the mixer jar with ½ cup water first and then add this water in the bowl. Then add ½ to ¾ cup more water.
- Mix well. Check the seasoning. Add more salt or jeera powder or chaat masala or jaggery if required. If you want a thin pani, you could add some water. But keep on checking the seasoning, as per your taste.
- Add the boondi to the pani.
- You can chill the pani in the fridge or add some ice cubes to it.
Making Pani Puri
- Crack the top of the puri with a spoon.
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of the boiled potato-onion filling in the poori.
- Stir the green pani first and then add it in the poori. Optionally you can add some sweet chutney in the puri.
- Serve the pani puri immediately.
- You can also make individual portions with the puris, potato-onion mixture and the pani. Let the individual assemble the pani puri for himself/herself as per his/her taste.